Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Re: Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?
In reply to j y g, 11 months ago

cmpatti wrote:

The 45mm f/1.8 would not be my next lens purchase unless I was heavily into portraiture.  The field of view is too narrow for general shooting in my opinion.  If I were looking for an all-around low light lens, for about the same price I would start with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

I haven't really heard conclusively, in terms of numbers of opinions on this thread that agree or disagree with you.  However, either way, you present an interesting option. I wonder how that 20mm performs in comaprison to the Oly 45mm in question.

It is not the focal length of the lens that causes the perspective problems that give people big noses, it is the distance that you shoot from. You need to be at least 2 metres away to avoid the effect, no matter WHAT lens you use. You then choose a focal length that give you the framing you want. At 2 metres away, the 45mm frames an area roughly 60cm by 75cm. So, not for group shots, but the head and torso of 2 people stood side by side, fine. The large aperture of the 45mm will give you nice shallow depth of field so only the people are in focus, so the background is not distracting.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow