Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
secretworld
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
Re: Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?
In reply to j y g, May 7, 2013

j y g wrote:

cmpatti wrote:

The 45mm f/1.8 would not be my next lens purchase unless I was heavily into portraiture.  The field of view is too narrow for general shooting in my opinion.  If I were looking for an all-around low light lens, for about the same price I would start with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

I haven't really heard conclusively, in terms of numbers of opinions on this thread that agree or disagree with you.  However, either way, you present an interesting option. I wonder how that 20mm performs in comaprison to the Oly 45mm in question.

I have both the 20mm and 45mm (and 14-45 kit lens) and I agree, my first choice would be the 20mm. It is generally much more useful. Since I have the 20mm I use it as my kit lens and use my legs for zooming. Pluses over the kit zoom are, better image quality, lower light capability and smaller, my PM2 with 20mm is easy to take along.

It is easier though to get special shots with the 45mm because of it´s smaller DOF.

My usual take along set up is the 20mm and 45mm, sometimes I add the 7.5 fisheye or 7-14 ultra wide angle.

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow