Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,392
Like?
Yeah, 100mm gets no love...
In reply to Chez Wimpy, May 7, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...that Sigma's working on releasing a 135 / 1.8 OS and a 24 / 1.4, both "art" lenses, by the end of this year or the beginning of next year.  Like I said, just a rumor, but if I were Sigma, that's what I'd do.

I'm still wondering where a 100/1.4 is.  Nobody has one (ever?), so we have to choose 85 if we want f1.4+ speeds or 135mm / 200mm if we want to maintain 72mm+ aperture in a "portrait" lens.  I realize it is easier to segment these things and 85-100 is a smallish jump (though a much better choice if you went 50 for a standard lens), but why have these lenses always been saddled with f2.0 and slower optics?  For me the 85 is usually too short, and the 135 is usually a bit long, but the optical qualities have me bouncing back and forth between the two (and the Sigma 135/1.8 OIS would probably sink the longer L if it could come in at a similar price point).

...except as a focal length for macros.  I'd take a 100 / 1.4 OS over a 135 / 1.8 OS, all else equal.  However, what I'm wondering is if the 135 / 1.8 OS will be so good that I could couple it with a 1.4x TC for a 189 / 2.5 that outperformed my 200 / 2.8L in terms of IQ, and had AF that was as quick (or close).

Not only would a 135 / 1.8 OS and 1.4x TC take up about the same space in my bag as the 200 / 2.8L, when coupled with the TC, it would give me greater magnification than the 200 / 2.8L, which would be a nice bonus for closeup photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow