Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,043Gear list
Like?
If you choose NOT to subscribe to the cloud version....
In reply to Saleen1999, May 7, 2013

I was thinking one possible solution might be to continue using CS6 and not subscribe to the cloud version.   But the problem with that is if you upgrade your camera, the raw converter in CS6 cannot be used edit raw files in new cameras that will be coming out.  So unless you are willing to screw around with converting to DNG (assuming they don't kill that as well), you are hosed if you purchase a camera in the future.

I am hoping there is enough backlash and outrage from folks that Adobe will be forced to reconsider their decision.  But I am not holding my breath that it will happen.

For me, even though it would cost more than my normal upgrades have cost, the main issue is not the money but rather the inconvenience of being forced to connect the cloud to validate the software when you use it, and the idea that my data is basically being snooped over by 'big brother'.  Even if that is not required on every use, it's still a PITA.  When I am on a wildlife trip, I do not have access to the internet in remote locations in places like Africa, and people should not be forced to be tethered to Adobe to use the software.

I used to upgrade Photoshop CS with every other upgrade, but twice I had to buy consecutive upgrades for the very reason I described above (bought a new camera that was not supported with the raw converter of the version I had).

The good news is I should have some time to decide since I upgraded to a 1DX and 1D4 in the last 15 months or so.  I will not be upgrading a camera again for a while so CS6 should give me a couple more years of use with raw files from those two cameras.

For folks who purchased CS6, the $19.99 per month pricing to keep using the software, is ridiculous.  We already paid for a PERPETUAL license so we should not be forced to pay again.  It seems to me that although Adobe doesn't have to continue to support CS6, I don't think they can legally force CS6 purchasers to pay again to continue the have the functionality that we have already paid for.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow