Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,794Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.
In reply to Prstl2, May 7, 2013

There are cost advantages to the Cloud for designers, graphic artists, etc. but not really for Photographers.

That concerns Adobe and is being addressed according to Tom Hogarty when he appeared last week on KelbyTV's show, The Grid.  Their idea is to sync all your devices through the Cloud, making them more useful for photographers.

One thing Tom demonstrated was a new application that Adobe is working on that puts Lightroom (or perhaps a simplified version) the iPad.  Since storage on phones and tablets is very limited my guess is that you will be able to leave your image files on your desktop and edit Adobe's Lightroom 5 Smart Previews as well as edit the few RAW files you can put on your tablet or phone.

KelbyTV | The Grid: Episode 94 – Tom Hogarty from Adobe

dpreview | Adobe gives sneak peak of Lightroom-style app for tablets

To me it looks more like the purpose of eliminating stand alone software is to reduce piracy to a minimum and thus increase Adobe's profits.  Monthly subscriptions also make income predictions easy.

What will I do?

I commented on the above KelbyTV show and was one of the lucky winners of a free copy of the upcoming Lightroom 5.  I'll use my new Lightroom 5 when it becomes available but stick with my stand alone CS6 software as long as possible.  Perhaps in a few years I'll upgrade but CS6 has more power than I can use so I see little reason to upgrade in the near future.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow