Is open software the only option...

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,973Gear list
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 7, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

There just aren't any other programs as good as Photoshop and Lightroom that I can find.  Some programs are good, very good in fact, but I have never found one with as many features or is as easy to use (once you learn how).

I agree about Photoshop, but Lightroom has not impressed me at all. If you want to use it only as a RAW converter, it's nothing more than Photoshop's ACR, so I just use Photoshop! Looks like most people like Lightroom's file management system, but it doesn't help me either, since I've been doing my files management for some years just using small programs like Image Ingester and Syncbase. I have no problem in dealing with the over 100.000 different image files and their back ups, both RAW and jpg, stored in five 1TB hard disks.

All other rhetoric aside, the reason Adobe is going to the Cloud is to make more money.  By no longer selling stand alone versions they will eliminate piracy.  Expect other software manufacturers to follow suit

It may be too expensive for many other smaller software designers to follow that.

I also wonder why Microsoft hasn't done that yet..., perhaps Adobe is taking too big a risk!

If you chose other software then you will just have to put up with fewer features or a more difficult to use interface.  It is up to you.

I have no doubt that it will cause some pain, nevertheless I'm also sure there are several other software developers that are quite capable to fill the feature gaps when demand calls for it. Time will tell.

Regards,

... Lucas

-- hide signature --

Always having fun with photography
http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow