Not new to editing for print, but need clarification for downsizing for DPR threads.

Started May 6, 2013 | Questions thread
Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Re: Not new to editing for print, but need clarification for downsizing for DPR threads.
In reply to dwa1, May 7, 2013

dwa1 wrote:

I’ve done some research about how to downsize and what tools, etc. It seems like FastStone Image Viewer (which I use for Viewing, rating, etc.) is a good tool for downsizing images as it offers many downsizing "methods" - bicubic, etc.

I haven't used FastStone although I've read good things about it but certainly you can do what you need to in Photoshop.

So here are my questions…

A - Sharpening - Should I be saving a separate file (one with no sharpening) and then do the sharpening only once after the downsize?

That would be the ideal.  Sharpening should always be done with the particular output in mind.  Downsize using Image Size, Bicubic Sharper.

Or should I start with one of my already sharpened for print files and then, after downsizing, do a "sharpen for web" edit?

The advice that I've seen (and follow) for printing is that it's best to sharpen a little more for print output than you would for display on a monitor.  So the versions you've sharpened for print may not be best.

B - EXIF - How do I ensure that I keep the EXIF data intact all of the way through to the final web-sized JPG?

The thing that normally strips EXIF is the Photoshop "Save for web" dialogue. I think that may have been corrected in more recent versions but I don't use it anyway.  If you save your jpeg normally you should be able to retain the EXIF, but do a test and see.

C - Color - For posting images on DPR forums, should the "downsized" file be sRGB or can it remain as aRGB?

sRGB for anything on the web.  While there are some browsers and some people's monitors which can display aRGB accurately, the vast majority of devices (including smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc) that people are likely to view your photos on will only be able to display sRGB with any degree of accuracy.

D - Size - Say for a 5x7 crop, what are the pixel dimensions whereby the image will not be further "downsized" or affected by DPR "filters"?

As far as I'm aware you can use a 5x7 as long as the resolution is 72 ppi, rather than the 300 or so you'd use for printing.  I'd generally just resize to actual pixel dimensions, with a height of 1200 pixels or thereabouts.  The gallery shots are then downsized for display within a thread.

This last question is not really a "downsize" question, but rather one about sharpening…

E - Lens Talk forums - 100% crops - For demonstrating lens IQ / sharpness qualities… I know how to do the 100% crop task. I would crop at 100% view to a size that gets recommended in my question "D" above - therefore the "downsize" is already done. However, where in the process (in my question "A" above) does the sharpening for this purpose come into play?

For lens samples you shouldn't sharpen at all.  Just select View, Actual Pixels in Photoshop.  Using the crop tool with the width, height and resolution fields all blank just select the part of the crop that you wish to display and save it.  Then convert to sRGB and post it as is.

E1 - Is it best to crop an unsharpened (but otherwise edited) image and then do a "sharpen for web"?

For normal images the important thing is to sharpen once the image is at the size you wish it to be displayed at.  But as mentioned above, for 100% crops for lens samples don't sharpen.

E2 - Is it best to crop an already "sharpened for print image" and do no further sharpening?

See A above.

E3 - Other?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post and for any answers to the above questions. I hope that responses to this thread will be helpful to others as well.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

Barry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow