Nikon 300mm VR used or new Sigma 120-300mm OS (2013 model)....what would you get?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,365
Like?
Re: Nikon 300mm VR used or new Sigma 120-300mm OS (2013 model)....what would you get?
In reply to busya, May 7, 2013

busya wrote:

if you had a choice between getting a used Nikon prime 300mm or sigma 120-300mm os which is to come out in a couple of weeks, which would you get and why. my personal concern from sigma is focus speed and sharpness as compared to Nikon counterpart. thanks

ps my first post on dpreview

Welcome to dpr busya.

My suggestion would be to first tell everyone what Nikon camera body(s) you will be using and what your primary intended subjects will be. Then people can give you a much more informed opinion.

It's going to be hard for a zoom (even a f2.8) to beat a prime lens like the Nikon 300 f2.8 VR (in terms of AF speed and IQ). However, I expect the new Sigma to perform quite well. A zoom will give you much more flexibility. But, this all depends on your subjects - polar bears or hummingbirds?

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow