6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
mariadc
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)
In reply to mariadc, May 7, 2013

I took more pictures today with the 7D.  It was overcast, so I expected similar results as the early morning shots I took over the weekend (vs the bright sunny day shots).  And I was right:  quite a bit of noise.  Yes, it focuses pretty fast, but I don't see any more detail (actually less) than the 6D.  Combined with the noise, the IQ just isn't the same.

My final analysis:  more shots were in focus with the 7D but not many.  I've been taking BIF flight shots almost daily with the 6D for about a month now, practicing on swallows and small birds since those are the toughest to capture in flight, in addition to the larger ones (ospreys and eagles, plus seagulls, ducks, and geese) when I get a chance.  With that practice of probably well over a thousand BIF shots with the 6D, I feel that I can get just as many keepers now (or pretty close) to what I'm getting with the 7D.

I want to like the 7D better, and kept giving it another chance.  It's cheaper and has a further reach with the crop factor (and I like CF cards better than SD cards).  But, other than those reasons, that's about it.  So I think I'll be keeping the 6D.

mariadc's gear list:mariadc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow