Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom
In reply to happysnapper64, May 7, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

Doug_PS wrote:

Hi Doug. I am not experienced enough to offer any specific advice on which lenses, but I would say it depends on where you take most of your shots, & what your style is, as opposed to what you photograph. If you take a lot of pictures outdoors in windy conditions or on/near a beach, I would want to avoid changing lenses too often, & would opt for a top quality zoom to cover the range, possibly a 70-200f/2.8 non IS, which is almost prime like through the whole range. I was considering the 200f/2.8 last year, but went with the 70-200f/4 IS & never regretted it.Only you know which focal lengths you will use most. I have never had a FF, but it could be a bit tricky coming from APS-c to fathom the new FL's required. I think you are sold on the Sigma so even though the 24-70 covers the Sigmas 34mm range, the f/1.4 could be of value to you for indoors. Do you have a good flash unit? I would suggest you look in your galleries & see which FL's you use the most & put you best lenses in that figure. Just a relative beginners opinion FWIW. Hope it helps.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Thanks for the feedback.  Great points to consider!  Yes, it is a bit tricky balancing it all out to come up with a collection of lenses that works for me.  Yes, I do have Canon 430 EX flash that works great for indoor low light and a 270EXII that I use for fill flash on the 5D outdoors.

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow