Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Like?
Re: Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?
In reply to j y g, May 7, 2013

j y g wrote:

The Oly E-PM2 kit comes with the (non-X) 14-42mm  f/3.5-5.6 lens.  I'm eyeballing the  Oly 45mm f/1.8. Surely the 45mm is much better quality, and f/1.8 is very convenient.  But I'm thinking of the wisdom of having a 42mm-capable lens and then spending $350 on a 45mm prime lens, over 80% of the kit itself. (Obviously I'm not a pro, and I have a less than liberal budget).    The f/1.8 sure would help in doors,  but is 45mm on MFT short enough of a focal length to take photos in doors such that I wouldn't feel cramped when trying to compose?

The irony here is that the body-only E-PM2 sells for more than the kit

jyg

You can't judge the worth of a lens based on what percentage it is of the camera kit you have.  You judge based on your requirements, how much you need that FL, that speed, that bokeh, that DOF control and that quality, all of which are limited in the kit lens.  This lens happens to be also very cheap compared to all other primes or the best value prime lens in M43, as it is excellent by all those measurements.  Assuming that it is a useful FL for you, it should be a no-brainer and if you cannot justify this one, you probably won't be able to justify buying any prime lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow