Is professional photography dying out?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
brokensocialscenester
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
Re: Is professional photography dying out?
In reply to ultimitsu, May 6, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

cptrios wrote:

It's therefore entirely possible that almost all of the OP's problem is that he very genuinely lives in an area in which there's no market for decently-paying professional photography. If everyone within a 100-mile radius of you has an average income of $25k/year, you are not going to be doing a whole lot of $2500 weddings.

Then do not charge 2500 for weddings. I really do not understand why eevry photographer thinks he has to charge this much. it is as if the price of film days wedding shoots ought to carry over - well it doesn't have to. Today the cost of learning photography is a lot less and time required is a lot shorter. It is not a skill that still takes years and years to develop. This is why many uncle jacks are happy to shoot their nephew's wedding for free with a half decent job.

To put things in a little more perspective for you. I live in New Zealand, Gear price is generally 30% more expensive than the US, GDP per capital is in fact lower, so it cost more to be a photographer. My friend that I was telling you about earlier, who has more than 10 contract photographers now, he charges 1500 NZD per wedding ( that is 1200 USD). That is one full day of shooting. He is super busy.

Good advice here.

-- hide signature --

rockford wedding photographer
http://www.mikeandfrida.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow