Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,279Gear list
Like?
Re: Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?
In reply to j y g, May 6, 2013

j y g wrote:

The Oly E-PM2 kit comes with the (non-X) 14-42mm  f/3.5-5.6 lens.  I'm eyeballing the  Oly 45mm f/1.8. Surely the 45mm is much better quality, and f/1.8 is very convenient.  But I'm thinking of the wisdom of having a 42mm-capable lens and then spending $350 on a 45mm prime lens, over 80% of the kit itself. (Obviously I'm not a pro, and I have a less than liberal budget).    The f/1.8 sure would help in doors,  but is 45mm on MFT short enough of a focal length to take photos in doors such that I wouldn't feel cramped when trying to compose?

The irony here is that the body-only E-PM2 sells for more than the kit

jyg

The difference between 42 mm and 45 mm is not that great.  The difference between f5.6 and f1.8 maximum aperture is huge.  Let's say your shot at 42/45 is at 1/15 at f5.6...pretty iffy shot hand held, you will be depending on IBIS to give you a prayer of a steady shot, assuming your subject does not move.  On the other hand 45 mm at 1/200 at f1.8 is a very makable shot, and will even freeze a lot of subject motion.  You will have thinner depth of field, but that may even work to your advantage.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow