That V1 discount is really sucking me in...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,485Gear list
Like?
That V1 discount is really sucking me in...
11 months ago

I was originally intrigued by the V1 when I read about the fast autofocus.   I thought finally I might have the dive camera I wanted, such that I could easily dive with it, easily transport it, and easily afford a housing for it.   But it wasn't worth $900 to me.

Then the price dropped to $299 with 10-30 lens, so I bought one.

Immediately found that it was unsuitable as a point-n-shoot since it didn't have flash.  There's only so much noise I can put up with in low indoor lighting, and I have a perfectly good Canon s95 anyway.

Next I found that I couldn't find a dive housing.  At least not one which would somehow accommodate the SB-N5 (or similar) flash.    So I had a fun little, mostly useless camera at this point.

Then I bought the FT1 adaptor, and the V1 took on a whole new dimension.  Suddenly I had a great little zoo camera, and niche wildlife camera.   Put my 300F4 on there and I have an 800F4.   I've been shooting more wildlife (birds) with it than my D800e, and almost all wildlife videos are shot with it.

I started thinking about an upcoming trip to Europe, and while I love to drag my F2.8 zooms and DSLR on trips, there are some days I just won't carry it.     So I bought a 30-110 zoom.

Wanted a bit smaller package and more low light capability, so I bought a 18.5 lens.

I just ordered a SB-N5 flash, so I have some indoor capability, plus a (fading) hope for a dive housing.

And I'm leaning toward the wide zoom to complete (?) the kit.   But I'm also liking the idea of the 10-100 non-PD lens.

Sigh.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow