lross
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: which 50mm lens do you recommend for the a99
In reply to EarthQuake, May 6, 2013

EarthQuake wrote:

eliehbk wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just got my a99 and I am shooting it with a Minolta 50mm 1.4 lens. While it is a nice, light, sharp lens, from 2.8 on I could not help but noticing that the AF is pretty noisy and slow and the minimum focus distance is about 50cm. Can you recommend any other one, which 50mm is best for the sony except the pricey new CZ?

Thanks.

Sigma 50mm 1.4 is your only option. Its a bit sharper than the Sony/Minolta 50mm 1.4(the Sony is a re-branded Minolta design) in the 1.4-2.8 range, and has quiet HSM focusing, though the focusing isn't significantly faster on the Sigma vs the Sony/Minolta.

The only other option for full frame 50mm lens would be the even worse Minolta 50mm 1.7, or one of hte Minolta/Sony/Sigma(or Quantaray - re-braded Sigma) 50mm 2.8 macro lenses, which wouldn't really help for any of your problems as they are all loud and slow to focus.

I owned both the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Sony version.  The Sigma is sharp wide open and the Sony wasn't.  The Sony wasn't even close.  I sold the Sony and couldn't be happier.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow