New pc build with i7 3770K

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,905
Like?
there are no remapped sectors with them.
In reply to kelpdiver, May 6, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

That's why you'll see over 1 million page hits if you do something like search for "load cycle count green" (without the quotes) as mentioned in my previous posts.

I get 153,000 hits for "Jim Cockfield sheep."  This isn't meaningful data.

Read some of the threads and articles.  Excessive Load Cycle Counts is a well documented issue (as I feel you already know, since you're familiar with the utility to change the drive parameters from what I see of your previous posts).

But, that's not even the most important problem.   Premature problems with them (sector errors) is the main issue I've had with mine (even though I have also seen high load cycle counts with them that may be a contributing factor with some setups)

From my perspective, the bigger issue is premature problems with WD Green drives due to the way their firmware handles sector read errors and reallocation of bad sectors to spares.

This is a suspicion you have, but I'm not convinced by your proof of such.

sector remapping is much more behind the curtain - and there is a limit to spares.  Once exceeded, it's not worth remapping - the ship is sinking.

There were no remapped sectors with the WD Green Drives I've seen issues with according to SMART data from them, even though they had obviously bad sectors with read errors reported by both Windows and Linux (even trying to use apps like acronis to get a disk image backup or using apps like dd and ddrescue from linux to try and get a good sector by sector copy).

Yet, even after zero filling using linux utilities, *and* by booting into Western  Digital's own Data Lifeguard utility and zero filling again, the last one I worked with wouldn't even pass a SMART initiated self test without read failures, and still showed no sectors reallocated to spares.

So, why not if they're working like a modern drive should be and remapping sectors to spares?   Hopefully, they ship them with at least some spares available, as the SMART data from all of them showed no sectors were reallocated.

The last one I helped someone with last week didn't even show any sectors pending reallocation after all of that process (trying to get a good copy of the drive using both Windows and Linux utilities; zero filling it using both Linux utilities and WD's own DOS based Data Lifeguard software).

It did show a high "raw read error" count.   But, nothing we did persuaded it to try and remap any of the bad sectors to spares, with no sectors pending reallocation either according to SMART data from it (even though that is something I have seen with some of my WD Green drives).   And, none of the WD Green Drives I've got with sector errors have attempted to map any sectors to spares.

Again, suit yourself.  But, I sure don't trust them.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AsusNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow