14-24 vs 16-35

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
I'd choose the 18-35 G too...
In reply to razor123, 11 months ago

razor123 wrote:

I'm about to buy one of the above Nikkor lenses. Both seem excellent. Most of my photography is travel so I like the reach of the 16-35 and the VR. 14-24 seems like it will be a bit bulky to lug around. On the other hand, the 14-24 seems to be superior optically with less distortion. So I have to weigh between portability and optical quality. The difference in cost is not a factor in my decision. Which would you choose?

I was just at my local camera store this weekend, trying to decide between the 16-35 and new 18-35. I took shots with both on an SD card and brought them home to look at. Viewed at 100%, the 18-35 was sharper across the frame at all focal lengths except the widest, where the 16-35 had a slight advantage in the corners. At 18mm, the 18-35 was still slightly shaper in the center than the 16-35 was at 16mm.

The 16-35 got noticeably less sharp as you zoom in closer to 35mm. I also preferred the feel of the zoom and focus rings on the 18-35 better. Less play, just felt more solid. If you travel, the 18-35 is much lighter too. Looks like a winner, I'm going to get one in a couple weeks.

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow