Started May 6, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AvyJoe
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Preventing Tripod Socket Wear and Tear Suggestions
May 6, 2013

Placing my camera in my bags and backpack after each use requires removing my shoulder-strap – a Joby UltraFit Sling Strap™ – from the camera’s tripod socket.  Although I am careful not to over tighten the strap-screw during installation, it has to be snug for I fear that if it is not my camera and lens will crash to the ground while walking around.

Thats said, I am concerned the constant on-and-off action will eventually fatigue the body’s tripod socket.  Is this a valid concern?  Or am I being paranoid?

If my concern is valid, is a camera plate a viable solution?  If so, who makes a lightweight, low-profile and high-quality plate?

Moreover, while I have a monopod and tripod my use of them is sparing.  My priorities are: the solution not increase the height of the body too much thus affecting the use of my bags (Lowepro®Toploader™ Zoom 50 & 55 AW) and backpack (Lowepro® Pro Runner™ 200 AW); the solution not place unintended stress  on the tripod socket in a matter that it was not designed for; and its weight be minimal.

Any insight would be appreciated.

AvyJoe's gear list:AvyJoe's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow