So, rumor has it...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,693Gear list
Like?
Re: So, rumor has it...
In reply to Wyville, 11 months ago

Wyville wrote:

Personally I'm far more interested in what Sigma will do with primes in the 300-600mm range. Right now they don't really have anything serious as both the 300 and 500 have to do without IS/OS and the performance of the 300 isn't better than that of the 120-300/2.8. With Canon's current focus on the professional market, there is room for Sigma to make a move. I would even say especially with lenses like a 300/4 or 400/5.6.

There was a rumour last year that a 2.8/300 is coming from Sigma, but that doesn't seem very likely given the overlap with their 2.8/120-300 (also pricewise). If they can make it small, light and high quality I would certainly be interested, as the Canon 2.8/300IS is too expensive for hobby photographers.

A high quality 4/300 or 5.6/400 with IS would be more interesting, at least as long as Canon does not provide an updated version of their affordable tele primes. However, Sigma doesn't have much experience when it comes to building compact, light and high quality tele primes ...

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow