**weekly wildlife 5-5, 5-12**

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,208Gear list
Like?
Re: South Florida birding
In reply to Atgard, May 6, 2013

It's like deja-vu!  I feel like I just saw all of those birds, quite recently.  

I haven't gotten around to finishing processing mine from this weekend - I had gone down to Spanish River beach to meet some friends, and brought my NEX along 'just in case' - it turned out to be nearly a fallout of migrational birds - I ended up shooting some 800 photos, on top of the 600 or so I shot on Saturday with the DSLR at the wetlands...I even got to see 3 species of bird I've never seen before, and dozens of others that I rarely see (all smaller songbird-types).  I don't know if you are free to bird on weekdays too - if you are, get yourself down to Spanish River today and see if you can still catch any of them.

Very nice series you got - the in-flight shots are improving every time you post them...the last egret is very nicely captured.  And you stumbled upon one of the tricks I like to use sometimes - slow the shutter speed down a little and you get nice dynamic motion.  You don't want to do it all the time, because it's hard to get good detail on the bird, but try to think about it every once in a while to add something different - it works really well with the big wading birds because they don't move their wings as much when they fly.

Glad you got the opportunity on that spoonbill too - they really are great to photograph in flight.  You got it pretty decent there - I'd say if there's anything you could do to it to make it better, just run a small adjustment to the contrast or levels to give the blacks a little more 'pop'...that will make the colors stand out more too.  Most of that is probably due to the lens - it loses a little touch of contrast, and which direction towards the sun you shoot probably impacts it a bit too - the hood is not very long so that can let the sun flare fade the contrast a little.

Pleasure to shoot with you, even if for just a short time.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ed,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow