Bird shot with 1360mm lens. (2 imgs)

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,944
Like?
Re: Bird shot with 1360mm lens. (2 imgs)
In reply to Greyser, May 6, 2013

Greyser wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Greyser wrote:

Finally you shot the bird, Ron :-). Very good shot, indeed.

Thanks Greyser.

BTW: How many AF tries you made with 1.7x AFA to get this?

One.

Actually I took quite a few shots of birds, mostly in the deep branches of the tree. I only wanted to check what size of bird I could fill the frame with from 40 feet. Now that I know that this combo can actually produce a good image, and if I decide to use it on other occasions, then I will be more careful of my shooting. I will also probably try the K-5 and PDAF next time.

It is really great to nail AF form the very first attempt. I believe, I have a bad copy of AFA 

I think it is more likely the way you are using it. The shorter the focal length of the lens, the less you have to worry about manually prefocusing the lens. Fo instance, try it with a 50mm lens set to infinity. You should be able to aurofocus that lens from just a couple feet to infinity. With a 300mm lens, try setting your lens to about 50 feet. You should then be able to autofocus from something less than 50 feet to about 200 feet.

Another thing you can try is to use AF-C. Half-press your shutter as you manually focus the lens. You should then get focus confirmation at some point.

I don't know what else to tell you except if you can't seem to use it properly then maybe you should sell it.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow