Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,802Gear list
Like?
Well, whaddya know?
In reply to Johan Borg, May 6, 2013

Johan Borg wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

I should note that the difference between #1 and #2 is more than "a little extra clock speed." The i7 processor has "hyperthreading", which creates four virtual cores. It is substantially faster than an i5 processor. That said, I did not test an i5 MBP, so I don't know how big the difference is.

Apparently the i5 does support hyperthreading. Look here. The i5 is 3210m and I think the i7 is 3520m. The i7 according to benchmark is 14% faster but I'm wondering how much difference i'll see in real use.

Yes, it's the quad-core *desktop* models of i7 that offer hyperthreading where the quad-core i5 don't. For laptops, a dual core i5 has the same number of threads as a dual core i7. You need a quad core (15") to gain much more than clock speed.

Huh. I wonder if that changed somewhere along the way. Well, thanks, guys. I learn something new every day.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow