Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,818Gear list
Like?
Re: The Dark side - older iMac
In reply to Andy Hewitt, May 6, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I'm using an older (2006) iMac, 2.16 Intel Dual core.

I'm noticing lately on the forums that photos that seem to be OK with other forum contributors look pretty dark to me. I'm thinking it's my old monitor.

I have brightness all the way up in System Preferences - is there some other way to get this older monitor to look a bit brighter?

Sounds like it's one the way out, there were a lot of the flat screen iMacs on eBay with busted screens.

You could try running a newer secondary display (I think these old ones can do it), and set it to 'Extended' desktop mode. Use the main display for your normal desktop stuff, and the secondary to display photos. It would be the cheapest option, and you could still use it if you upgraded later (get a DVI model though).

I run two displays off my Mac Mini quite comfortably, which is a 2.26GHz model (one 23" as a main display, and one 4:3 display for editing my Olympus photos.

Hi Erik and Andy

Erik, I'm thinking of two directions here.

• Get an Apple service person, not necessarily Apple themselves but someone who can do stuff with screens and so on, to have a look at your machine. And I mean "a look". They should be able to make a pretty firm diagnosis just by looking t what is on the screen and your prefs.
  • IF you don’t want to do that or can't do that, or if you do that and the verdict is negative, look at supplementing the screen with a secondary display as Andy suggests.

The secondary display path is a good one because it gives you greater flexibility. Should the screen of your iMac die altogether, your secondary display will carry on unless something awful has happened to the graphics card. So you will be able to continue to use your machine.

If you decide at some point to get a new iMac, you can either continue to use the secondary display with the new machine (by then you are likely to be very fond of two displays!) or you can sell it.

If you decide to switch to a  Mac mini or a MacBook, then you can use the secondary display with that . In the case of the MacBook, your big screen would be your main display when you are at home (or in the office or wherever you do your stuff on the computer) while using the built-in screen as a secondary display. Away from your big screen you simply use the built-in screen (this is my modus operandi).

The best sort of free standing display for the job is, of course, an Apple Cinema screen. I bought one of eBay -- it is still going great and it absolutely floors other big screens I have used.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow