This is a very special lens.

Started May 5, 2013 | User reviews thread
Leo James Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,624
Like?
Re: This is a very special lens.
In reply to kaedepics, May 6, 2013

Now you have asked the question, why are there not more macro lenses in the 150mm to 200mm class. Sigma of course has created the wonderful 150mm and 180mm lenses, but not for Pentax. Finally I found that my 1.7 tele-converter plus this Pentax 100mm Macro WR lens makes an excellent 150 to 170mm macro lens. The problem of course is that one doesn't get complete auto focus this way. You have to first manually get close to the correct focus and then the auto focus works. Thisis fine when shooting a static subject, but not so good when dealing with an active bee for example. Still it adds another weapon to my arsenal. It works with the Pentax 35mm Macro Limited too, extending it to a 60 or 65mm macro lens.

I suppose there are not enough Pentaxians to warrant Sigma making the excellent 150mm and 180mm glass in a Pentax mount. One can only wish. Meanwhile I cheerily use my 100mm macro as is or with the 1.7 tc.

My wish would be for Pentax to crank out a 200 mm Macro lens in the Limited Class. Then I would drop all other recreation to run out and drop the necessary 2K in cash to have it! LOL!

Cheers

Leo

kaedepics wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  It seems that working distance is an important factor in macro and most macro lenses range from about 35 to 100mm but if more working distance is better then why aren't macro lenses of a longer focal length more common or is 100mm the optimum?

-- hide signature --

K-5: Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Limited, Pentax DA14mm f2.8, Pentax DFA 100mm WR Macro , Sigma 17-70mm Zoom, Sigma EX DG f2.8 70mm Macro, Pentax 1.7 lens adapter, Cokin Pro Z Filter System. Benro B-4 Ball-Head, Benro C297-M8 Carbon Fiber Flexpod, Benro Precision HD-38 3-Way Pan-Head
Shooting photographs since 1948
mitch

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeffNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow