The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,944
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to zxaar, May 6, 2013

That's a bit harsh!  Lin is an experienced photographer, he knows full well how these things affect the image. He did say it wasn't a formal test but merely a casual comparison.

On the other hand, that is my objection. Lin clearly has an opinion as to the relative performance of the two cameras and he feels his casual comparison is representative of that difference and that no further rigour is needed. For him, the comparison was enough.

But I think for those who don't have the luxury of using the equipment side by side and making up their own minds, other people's comparisons are all they have to go on. And that puts a kind of responsibility on the tester to do a decent job otherwise they risk mis-informing potential purchasers. Lin has a history of promoting Foveon and that further complicates things for the undecided.

In this case I don't think Lin produced a reliable or trustworthy comparison because there are too many factors that work against the Nikon. It doesn't mean his general conclusion is wrong but that comparison didn't demonstrate it in a trustworthy way.  The cynical could draw a conclusion that it was shown because it makes the DP2m look better, rather than because it is better. Again, even if the result is shown to stand in further work, it's all about the trustworthiness of this comparison.

If you want to share your understanding of relative performances, it's more helpful to do it with an even playing field, else at best you are preaching to the choir and at worst risk being accused of deliberate fraud. It would be easy for Lin to show another pair of images with a fairer choice of settings and processing as he clearly uses the cameras side by side.  I'm pretty sure the resolution advantage of the DP2m would be evident even with conditions optimised for the Nikon.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow