Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to nealix, May 6, 2013

nealix wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Island Golfer wrote:

Spend the chingwa and buy the one that is designed for it and works correctly.........

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Collar_for_70-200mm_f4G_ED_VR.html

-- hide signature --

truview

How finicky are the tolerances on the quick release plate on the Kirk collar?  Will it work with any A-S compatible quick release ball head?

just make sure you have the screw type clamp on your ballhead as opposed to the lever release QR clamps if you are mixing brands of arca swiss plates as the screw clamps can be tightened on most of them whereas the lever release clamps may have slightly different tolerances specific to their proprietary plates and may not clamp tight to others.

So, I am new to the Arca-Swiss gear.  If I buy the Kirk Lens Collar, can I use a plate like this on my tripod head?:   http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-Compatible-Adapter-DBA-01-Tripod/dp/B008G394U0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1367813234&sr=8-7&keywords=arca-swiss+tripod+clamp

Or do you have some suggestions?

Thanks.  I just purchased the 70-200 F4 today and love it.

Neal

As earlier stated, screw clamps are quite forgiving. Lever clamps require better mating with the plates. The inexpensive clamp you found should work with a Kirk collar on your 70-200. Having never seen a clamp that claims to work with both Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto plates, I couldn't attest to the suitability of this particular one. That said, the reviewers seem to say it is.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow