So, rumor has it...

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
Re: So, rumor has it...
In reply to Great Bustard, May 6, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

...that Sigma's working on releasing a 135 / 1.8 OS and a 24 / 1.4, both "art" lenses, by the end of this year or the beginning of next year.  Like I said, just a rumor, but if I were Sigma, that's what I'd do.

That leaves 50mm open for Canon.  I'd be pleased to see a 50 / 2 IS ala the 35 / 2 IS and/or a 50 / 1.2L II.

But what we're missing is a fast 17mm prime.  I think that's gotta come from Sigma, since Canon has the 14 / 2.8L II and 17 TSE.  Then again, maybe Sigma might think to redo their 20 / 1.8, although that's a bit too close to 24mm, I would think.

Let's not forget zooms, though.  I think the 24-200mm range is pretty well covered at the moment.  So, I'm wondering if someone isn't working on a killer UWA zoom.

How say you all?

For what do you need a fast AF 17 mm prime?

i mean - what is the benefit of a moderate shallow depth of field on a super wide angle lens except the fact that you can win a bit more room for maneuver in the exposure time (which is not an issue any more since ISO 3200 is good enough for most situations)

The TS-E 17 is as good as it gets optically and I have not seen to date a better wide angle lens in real world results (even shifted it is still fabulous)

On the 135 f/1.8 I share your hopes and that would be a nice and welcome addition to the market.

On the price side I can only add that you always get what you pay for. I get two service dates for free at CPS every year and each time three lenses and one body (including sensor cleaning) gets checked and if necessary calibrated for free (in Germany). All major events have CPS on site with emergency help and rental stuff.

The newly introduced higher priced Canon lenses have a very low piece to piece variation and you can buy them wherever you want and be sure you get a good one (at least to my experience) - bought my 70-200 in HongKong for 2/3rds of the german price and it is a top notch version.

The used price for good condition mint Canon lenses are just amazing (look at the used 300 IS prices on ebay)

The reliability is on a very high level and those new tele lenses seem to built like a tank (whatever that means for a lens)

So you really get what you pay for IMHO

For me only a faster 135 is missing and a better 50 f/1.2 or even better a f/1.0 - maybe a nice 100-300 f/4.0 on the level of the 70-200 f/4.0 l IS USM would be really nice - that would be a killer lens.

My (shifted and stitched) TS-E 17 is serving me very well for wide angle shots down to a virtual FOV of 11 mm on FF.

Maybe the rumored EF 28-35 f/1.6-2.1 could be very interesting replacing two primes with an interesting aperture and range and the rumored TS-E 1X0 macro could be extremely nice - I would buy both for 2.5 k EUR each - I would buy an excellent 100-300 f/4.0 l IS USM for 3 k EUR as well. These would be the last (IMHO important) gaps in the Canon lens portfolio.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow