This is a very special lens.

Started May 5, 2013 | User reviews thread
Leo James Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,630
Like?
Re: This is a very special lens.
In reply to kaedepics, May 6, 2013

Hmmm! How do they compare? They are both super sharp, they are both excellent macro lenses and also superior general use lenses. But since I got my Pentax 100mm WR lens, I hardly ever reach for the Sigma 70mm glass. Similarly when I had the Sigma 105mm Macro, I reached for it more often than the 70. I think it is just perspective and distance advantage. Even though the 70mm glass is sharp, maybe a smidgin sharper than the 100mm or 105mm lenses, the distance and perspective advantages made me reach for them. Also the Sigma 70mm lens is quite heavy compared to the 100mm WR and even the Sigma 105mm lens. The fact that the Sigma has a focus limiter didn't make any difference to my preference.

One situation where I would reach for the 70 is for shooting portraits. It is equivalent to 105mm in 35mm terms and so is ideal for head and shoulder shots. Having said that, it ruthlessly shows things like acne, wrinkles and other things people don't like to see in their portraits. For shooting children and young people though, it is magic.

Sorry, this is not very well said,but I think you see what I mean.

Cheers

Leo

kaedepics wrote:

I notice from your signature that you have a Sigma 70mm macro.  I vaguely remember reading that the Sigma is also an excellent macro lens so as you have both I would be interested in your thoughts on how they compare.

-- hide signature --

K-5: Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Limited, Pentax DA14mm f2.8, Pentax DFA 100mm WR Macro , Sigma 17-70mm Zoom, Sigma EX DG f2.8 70mm Macro, Pentax 1.7 lens adapter, Cokin Pro Z Filter System. Benro B-4 Ball-Head, Benro C297-M8 Carbon Fiber Flexpod, Benro Precision HD-38 3-Way Pan-Head
Shooting photographs since 1948
mitch

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeffNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow