Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,867
Like?
Re: The Dark side - older iMac
In reply to Andy Hewitt, May 5, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I'm using an older (2006) iMac, 2.16 Intel Dual core.

I'm noticing lately on the forums that photos that seem to be OK with other forum contributors look pretty dark to me. I'm thinking it's my old monitor.

I have brightness all the way up in System Preferences - is there some other way to get this older monitor to look a bit brighter?

Sounds like it's one the way out, there were a lot of the flat screen iMacs on eBay with busted screens.

You could try running a newer secondary display (I think these old ones can do it), and set it to 'Extended' desktop mode. Use the main display for your normal desktop stuff, and the secondary to display photos. It would be the cheapest option, and you could still use it if you upgraded later (get a DVI model though).

I run two displays off my Mac Mini quite comfortably, which is a 2.26GHz model (one 23" as a main display, and one 4:3 display for editing my Olympus photos.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Thanks, Andy,

Hmmm.... this fits in with my present attempt to run my iMac into my 42" screen TV using the DVI connector on the back of the monitor via an HDMI cable.

I take it that the 'extended' desktop would be similar.

Sorry I'm not nearly as up-to-speed on the Mac as I should be - Thanks! very interesting and timely.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow