Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,543
Like?
Re: Decided to wait and see…
In reply to Grobb, May 5, 2013

tron555 wrote:

…what happens in a few months with Micro Four Thirds cameras and lenses. I’m sure there will be very interesting developments on both cameras and lenses in the near future and I will follow them. After doing much too much research, this is the system that “I” feel is needed for “me” to get the best (sharpest) images in most situations that I would be shooting.

Olympus E-PL5 16MP (great sensor/features/etc…)                                $549

Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS LUMIX G VARIO              $332

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6                                       $253

Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens                        $335

Total system price     $1469

My main issue (hang up) is that the lenses only seem to be sharpest at certain focal lengths and apertures. It’s almost like you are only getting about 80%+- or what you are paying for! I am NOT going to pay a total of $920 for those 3 lenses and keep a chart (or try and remember) exactly what FoV/aperture I need to shoot each one at in order to get its most optically sharp image. Sure, I could just get the E-PL5 with kit lens (which is NOT that great) and use it for everything, but to me, that is just too limiting.

Right now, this is my backup plan in case my G12 fails any time soon is to purchase this system:

Olympus E-PM2 with its kit 14-42mm Lens (great sensor, less features)        $423

Olympus WCON-P01 Wide Angle Converter (to get 11mm, when I need it)     $99

Total system price     $523

I think the m4/3 format is the best option, but to me, lenses are an issue, IMHO.

If you are so picky about lenses you will likely be disappointed. Though Panasonic 14-45mm is one of the best m4/3 zooms it's still just a consumer zoom, nowhere as good as primes:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow