Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
KenBalbari
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: SIGMA!
In reply to Grobb, May 5, 2013

tron555 wrote:

Personally, I would rather have a total zoom range from 12-150mm with two lenses than have to deal with three lenses, having no zoom and only 19, 30 and 60mm. To me, there would be much more flexibility, less lens changing, less chances of getting dust/dirt on the sensor and missing shots while changing lenses. It’s all about personal choice. It’s just a shame new lenses are not made in 12-50/2.8 and 50-150/2.8 that take reasonably sharp images from corner to corner at a reasonably cost effective price. That is the ONLY reason why I am not getting into the m4/3 format, at least for now. Too many lens choices and way too many compromises within those choices.

Of course that's going to be the case in any interchangeable lens system.  Does anyone else have cheap f/2.8 zooms?

If you don't like switching lenses, I think you should look into the Olympus 14-150 f4.0-5.6.  That's a convenient all around lens, pretty sharp everywhere by f/8.0, and good wide open in the middle of the range. There are refurbs available from Cameta on ebay for around $340.

The only time you will really need a larger aperture is either for indoors without flash, or for narrow depth of field portrait shots.  Then maybe add the 25mm f/1.4, or the 45mm f/1.8, or even one of the Sigma primes just for those situations.

KenBalbari's gear list:KenBalbari's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow