Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,474Gear list
Like?
Re: Decided to wait and see…
In reply to Pikme, May 5, 2013

Pikme wrote:

You are paying for OIS in the lenses that you do not need.

In Australia the Panasonic 45-150mm is usually about $20 cheaper than the Olympus 40-150mm, with the "penalty" of being 20 grams heavier, but that possibly includes the lens hood which Oly doesn't supply.

You can get the Oly 40-150 for $199 (today $149) or even $99 on sale frequently and it is at least as good or better than the Panasonic.  You do not need the optical stabilization that the Panasonic lenses have, so the Oly versions are smaller and cheaper.

In the case of the 14-45mm the switchable OIS does work fine for the occasional video, and is easier to use for stabilisation than fiddling with the SCP. Plus of course it is a good lens that delivers excellent results even wide open.

The 45-150mm of course gives me a stabilised preview on the E-PL5 and that is nice when at 150mm and the 2x is turned on.

Right now you could get the EPL5, 14-42 and 40-150 for $700 from B&H.  No need to spend so much money if you are worried about costs.  And there are plenty of used Panny 20 f1.7 for sale all the time (I must acknowledge that I wouldn't recommend that lens today, but that's me).

With the better performance of the E-PL5 sensor I have now generally lost interest in getting primes "for low light". They just don't seem necessary any more, like they would have been with the lesser 12MP sensor. I've got the Sigma 19mm but never seem to use it, fully adapted to zooms now where the kit lens acts like a 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45mm set of primes and even the  focal lengths in between. Need I need to list the 45-150mm lens focal length ability as well? Crop the scene in camera with zooms instead of in post with primes and thus retain full resolution.

My main issue (hang up) is that the lenses only seem to be sharpest at certain focal lengths and apertures.

You are spending too much time in these forums!  That is a characteristic of all lenses, no matter who makes them and no matter how much they cost - that is just the way lenses work.

Dead right, (to the OP) forget getting the sharpest image as the basis of good photography, that is for the pixel peeping freaks here, just get an outfit that works for you and have fun getting images. The M4/3 kit is so light and convenient that you get the images where the chump with the FF DSLR and a ton of lenses leaves them at home as they are too heavy to carry.

My wife is less interested than I am in absolute quality and has a ball with her Casio pocket camera that handles from 24-300mm equivalent, with built in HDR ability, multi shot low light and tele facility etc so often sees and gets images that I miss while changing lenses etc. On the 24" monitor most times I don't see the differences between my M4/3 shots and her Casio shots, I happily mix them all in together.

But understand the difference between the 'sharpest' focal length or aperture is rarely noticeable without pixel peeping from the least sharpest focal length or aperture - have you noticed it with your current camera? I guarantee it is there if you look closely enough.

If you spend your life shooting test charts then sharpest is of interest, if you want to go take pictures it is of limited importance.

These forums make mountains out of molehills - people argue and test things to the nth degree, way longer than any of these things matter or can be seen by any human being.  Don't get caught up in these things - ask for real advice from real photographers, not gearheads.

I agree 100% with Roberto, the test chart pixel peeping freaks take the fun out of photography and make everyone feel inferior because they don't strive for the sharpest image on the planet. They are in fact in the totally wrong forum, they should get out and go FF DSLR and leave M4/3 in peace to get on with discussing camera features and photography.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow