Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R

Started May 4, 2013 | Questions thread
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R
In reply to Timmbits, May 5, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

Also, focus peaking works completely well when adapting ANY brand lens with an adapter to an NX camera. Let me clarify: 5X, 8X, and peak bar.  And adapters are only $22, not a few hundred, opening the door to any legacy lenses out there, even super high quality ones selling at significant discounts on ebay. (like the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 I picked up for $100 and which I use with my NX20).

Focus peaking is something completely different. The NX300 also has it, although I wouldn't want to miss the touch screen MF magnification anymore, which is not available on the NX300.

However I found the NX300 focus peaking a bit more useful when I tested it .. it seemed very accurate and reliable - was only a short test. Maybe the NX300 users here can share their experience.

And lastly, I seem to have read in a FEW places that the Samsung has a much wider lens selenction than the NEX line.  Perhaps this has changed... my point is, they offer every lens imaginable that you may need, with no gaps.  Except maybe a faster prime, like a 35mm f1.4... but Sony doesn't have anything like that either, not below $1000 and without an expensive adapter.

Sony has the 35mm f1.8 OSS which costs 430€. That's expensive, yes - but apparently it is a good lens, and it has optical stabilisation (alternatives: Oly M43 and the panaleica 25mm f1.4 or canon aps-c with the FF 35mm f2 lens. both are more expensive than the Sony)

Then there's the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8, the new 20mm pancake, the 50mm f1.8 and of course there are also Sigma lenses (19mm and 30mm f2.8) which are really very good and dirt cheap.

So below 50mm Sony has a lot to offer, but longer than 50mm - not really. And maybe it'S a bit to much already. If you're looking for prime lenses around 30mm then you have 3 choices already (4 if you take the 30mm macro into account)

The NX system however shines with the 85mm f1.4 and the 60mm macro.

So if you're happy with the NX lens selection now, then it's a good choice. I wouldn't count on many more lenses to become available in the near future though.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow