Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: WD green drives stink
In reply to Jim Cockfield, May 5, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

theswede wrote:

It's usually not as much of an issue in most Windows configs.  But, it's a huge issue with most Linux distributions, and I've also seen some Windows users report the same issues.

I use Green drives exclusively for Linux servers, both my own and those I build for friends and family. There is no issue at all with the parking. The disks stay parked for hours, even days, normally, and the wear (and power use and heat) is minimal. Just as they're supposed to be.

Have you even taken a look at SMART data from your drives?

Yup. Got a daemon which checks it weekly and emails me if anything pops up. It never does. Install that on all systems I end up responsible for. No issues over three years so far, and none of the disks have load cycle counts over 14000. That feels pretty comfortable, leaving me at decades left on that count.

It's a *very* well documented issue (excessive load cycle counts with WD Green Drives with Linux).   Just "google" for "load cycle count green" (without the quotes) and you'll find many, many forum threads about the issue with them (over a million page hits right this minute when I just used that search).

No idea what those people are doing to their poor systems. I'll go read and see just what's up with that. I have never seen this issue, but then, I also set the systems up to not spin the disks up constantly.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AsusNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow