Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496
Like?
Re: Decided to wait and see…
In reply to Grobb, May 5, 2013

tron555 wrote:

…Olympus E-PL5 16MP (great sensor/features/etc…)                                $549

Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS LUMIX G VARIO              $332

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6                                       $253

Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens                        $335

Total system price     $1469

You are paying for OIS in the lenses that you do not need.

For $549, you already get the Olympus 14-42 - just use that for awhile and decide later if you want to get the Panasonic 14-45.  You could probably trade one lens for the other.  The Oly 14-42 II compares very favorably to the Panasonic - take a look at the lens tests at http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php   Just remember to look at the right version of the Oly 14-42 lens.  BTW, I have the Panasonic and it is a good lens - but I generally use Olympus 12-50 more often because the weather sealing, close up ability and general performance (other than pixel level sharpness)  is better for me.

You can get the Oly 40-150 for $199 (today $149) or even $99 on sale frequently and it is at least as good or better than the Panasonic.  You do not need the optical stabilization that the Panasonic lenses have, so the Oly versions are smaller and cheaper.

Right now you could get the EPL5, 14-42 and 40-150 for $700 from B&H.  No need to spend so much money if you are worried about costs.  And there are plenty of used Panny 20 f1.7 for sale all the time (I must acknowledge that I wouldn't recommend that lens today, but that's me).

My main issue (hang up) is that the lenses only seem to be sharpest at certain focal lengths and apertures.

You are spending too much time in these forums!  That is a characteristic of all lenses, no matter who makes them and no matter how much they cost - that is just the way lenses work.

But understand the difference between the 'sharpest' focal length or aperture is rarely noticeable without pixel peeping from the least sharpest focal length or aperture - have you noticed it with your current camera? I guarantee it is there if you look closely enough.

These forums make mountains out of molehills - people argue and test things to the nth degree, way longer than any of these things matter or can be seen by any human being.  Don't get caught up in these things - ask for real advice from real photographers, not gearheads.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow