D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Additions to the list...
In reply to noirdesir, May 5, 2013

If it wasn't obvious, I only considered lenses that can be bought new, that all had AF and where available I only considered the versions of lenses with AF-S and VR/OS. There are enough people who only buy new and once you allow for used lenses, you are really opening a can of worms because there is such a vast array of options with difficult to obtain prices and such big differences in quality and features. And we all know that old WA often do poorly on digital, so instead of getting into an unsolvable argument over which lens is better (or equivalent), just drawing a simple line and restricting oneself to only what is available as new is the cleanest way to deal with this issue.

However, when you're merely talking about getting to a certain focal length and throw equivalent image quality out the window, one of FX's biggest advantages is having a huge selection of used lenses from the film area. Most of those lenses give very good image quality when used on full frame (which is what they're designed for).

"Old WA often do poorly on digital"...well, maybe an old $100 UWA won't give the corner performance of a new $700 DX UWA, but being cheaper is the point. If you want awesome FX UWA performance, that can be had for $300 with a Samyang 14/2.8. No AF, but you don't need AF because pretty much everything will be in focus anyways.

And if you want to take IQ into consideration, you have to take the superior noise performance of FX sensors into account. The D600 is more than a stop ahead, so when you're not in bright sunlight, it's like having a lens that's a stop faster.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51398092 for a discussion on trying to obtain equivalent IQ...DX only wins for telephoto and macro.

Except for two prime comparisons, I always compared a lens with VR with a lens with VR and a lens with AF-S with a lens with AF-S.

And the same applies for bodies, once you allow for used equipment, you can really very fast start to compare apples with oranges. I mean what is the price difference between DX and FX bodies once you add all the used models? Any comparison will be flawed.

Even factoring in a $400 price difference between the D600 and D7100, FX can still be cheaper in some circumstances. It's a wash.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow