Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R

Started May 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung Nx20 VS Sony Nex-5R
In reply to wictred, May 5, 2013

wictred wrote:

On the other hand, if you'll never use flash then the 5R would do it. Otherwise I'd also see the NEX-6 as the alternative.

Basically, the pro and cons imho:

NEX-5R:

+ very good high ISO performance
+ optional viewfinder (tilt EVF)
+ tilt lcd
+ better third party support
+ very good for legacy lenses: focus peaking, touch screen (touch -> magnify + peaking)
- no hotshoe
- weird base plate, not really good for tripod use unless you use a tripod collar or lens adaptor with tripod mount
- expensive e-mount lenses
- UI

NX20:

+ very good low ISO performance
+ integrated EVF
+ hot shoe
+ swivel OLED screen
+ a couple very good lenses
+ cheap
+ WIFI
+ much better UI
- not too many lenses
- shooting legacy lenses is not the same as on a NEX-5/5N/5R (no peaking, only center MF loupe)
- almost no third party support

Very good and thorough.  However, you seem to miss the point that some of the models you suggest, like a nex6, or adding an optional viewfinder to the 5r, are combinations that are out of his acceptable price point.

Also, focus peaking works completely well when adapting ANY brand lens with an adapter to an NX camera. Let me clarify: 5X, 8X, and peak bar.  And adapters are only $22, not a few hundred, opening the door to any legacy lenses out there, even super high quality ones selling at significant discounts on ebay. (like the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 I picked up for $100 and which I use with my NX20).

And lastly, I seem to have read in a FEW places that the Samsung has a much wider lens selenction than the NEX line.  Perhaps this has changed... my point is, they offer every lens imaginable that you may need, with no gaps.  Except maybe a faster prime, like a 35mm f1.4... but Sony doesn't have anything like that either, not below $1000 and without an expensive adapter.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow