Europe with One Lens

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
Re: Europe with One Lens
In reply to MrJamela, May 5, 2013

I'm replying back at the top level, since I'm addressing multiple points. There is some good advice in this thread.

As for prime/backup zoom. I've been doing exactly what some suggest here and walking around with the 16-50 in my pocket and the 24mm on the camera. I've yet to put the 16-50 on the camera though and am rethinking the approach. From what I've read about the RX100, I'm thinking it might just be better to have that in a pocket for the "memory photos" (glad you like the term, I was just struggling to differentiate between thoughtful photography and snapshots).

I often don't carry my camera at all, or just rely on my iPhone. I think the RX100 might also be good for those days.

Another consideration is your spouse/partner, if you are not traveling alone. My wife does a lot of snapshot with the Canon S90 while I'm focusing on doing street photography. That gets us a lot of those memory photos (cafes where we had a nice meal, sculpture we liked, etc.). The team approach often leads to a good collection from a trip.

One note on not be so conspicuous. I often wear a sports jacket in cities. We like to eat in nice places and visit small galleries, etc. and I swear you are generally treated better if you are dressed well. I like to wear a sling under the jacket and the camera settles under the front right flap of the jacket making it less conspicuous. It is easy to slide the camera up and take a shot when needed.

Cheers
Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow