Europe with One Lens

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Europe with One Lens
In reply to MrJamela, May 5, 2013

I traveled to Europe for two weeks last month and took my full complement of NEX lenses as well as a D600 with the 24-120VR.  It was a complete mistake.  The only camera I ever used was the NEX and I only used the Sigma 19mm and 30mm even though I brought the 18-55mm.  I was walking around so much that the idea of bringing the heavier D600 with me each day was simply too daunting.

The take away is one or two lenses are enough.

I never had any need of a long lens.

The 24mm Zeiss is a good choice but you are going to find times when you wish you had something wider.  I think you can pick up the older version of the Sigma 19mm for $99 now.  It really is an excellent lens, very sharp and relatively little distortion and it is quite small.  It is easy to stick into a pocket or small bag.

I have been really delighted with this bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-304-Fixed-Camera/dp/B0039BPG1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367775716&sr=8-1&keywords=Case+Logic+DCB-304

You can fit an NEX with lens attached and a second (Sigma) lens on top in its case and stick extra batteries, remote, and memory cards in the side pockets.  And there is a little pocket in the case that is perfect for carrying the Colorchecker Passport or similar grey card.  Everything is light enough to carry all day and the bag is small enough to enter all the museums.

Have a great trip!

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow