The Big Photo Show, Los Angeles Convention Center (w/ chaser)

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,320Gear list
Like?
The Big Photo Show, Los Angeles Convention Center (w/ chaser)
May 5, 2013

I attended The Big Photo Show at the Los Angeles Convention Center yesterday. Sony and Sigma had booths there along with some local camera stores, framing and printing services and others. Several local photogs gave educational seminars. There were a couple modeling stages set up too (one big, one small).

Canikon wasn't there which didn't disappoint me. Tamron wasn't there which did disappoint me.

At the Sony booth I tried out the RX100, A99, 70-400G1 (no G2 available) and the 500 f4:

Me, my A77 and the 500mm f4

It was great to be able to walk around and talk to manufacturer reps instead of some sales guy in a camera store. I think I learned a few things too.

My takeaways from all this:

• The tight focus points in the A99 bugs me.
  • The RX100 would be a great camera for my Bangkok trip but the price is making me hesitate.
  • The 70-400G1, 500 f4 don't focus end-to-end much faster/slower than my Sigma 150-500. I suppose we could sit around with stopwatches and argue about it but in the end they're all in the same focus speed league. This makes the 70-400G2 extra attractive.
  • The A99 w/ grip & 24-70 wasn't all that much heavier than my A77 w/ 16-50. This was surprising. Maybe the grip didn't have batteries.
  • Continuous lighting is not that bright. I was shooting a model with continuous lights in the ~f2-3  ISO400 range. You're never going to get into lens sweet spot range with continuous light.

The model shoots were more meat market shooting than portrait session. But if you bull your way to the front and start directing the model (no one was directing the model!) you can take over the shoot and get a couple nice shots:

From the model's perspective.

And here's the chaser:

A77+Sigma 85 f1.4. f2.8, ISO400, 1/80sec, +0.7 EV.

All-in-all, I'd go again.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II +23 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow