Question for those with the 500 f4 II and 1.4xIII...

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467
Like?
Question for those with the 500 f4 II and 1.4xIII...
May 5, 2013

I bought the 500 f4 II and 1.4x III. I bought this lens for one type of shooting...aircraft in flight.

Last year I rented the old version 500 f4 and 1.4x II. I took it to my local airport and spent a few hours capturing aircraft landing. I was very satisified with the results. I got nicely sharp images with and without the tc, even shooting prop planes at slow shutter speeds.

Then I took my new lens and tc to the airport - same place, capturing aircraft landing. But when I viewed the images, and compared them to those taken with the old 500, I was disappointed.

While shooting planes approaching me, the images with the tc were significantly softer than those taken with the old gear. If I pan a plane that's at a right angle to the lens - then the image is pretty good. I've read that the new tcs actually AF slower than the old gear. If true, then perhaps this is what's causing the soft images. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, the new lens offers 4 stops of IS (2 more than the old 500). I was thinking that this would be a benefit while panning propeller planes at slow shutter speeds. But my images don't show any benefit (none are sharper than the old lens) while panning. And this is using both IS mode 2 and 3.

I'm not saying that the new lens/tc isn't better than the old, but for my type of photography the old lens worked just as well or better.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow