Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,505Gear list
Like?
Quantitative focus times
In reply to Carl Decker, May 5, 2013

Carl Decker wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Focus is fast for a 50mm class lens and the light weight is nice.  Even the price is fair for the lens.

Thank you for the report and also for your last answer to my question.

Here dpreview wrote on the nx300 preview:

"Even in the relatively low light of a CES meeting room, focus with the 85mm F1.4 was fast and positive, with almost no 'jitter' - certainly a clear improvement on the solely contrast-detection system in earlier NX bodies and many competitive mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. "

Is the same true for the 45 F1.8 on the nx300 ? Or what do you mean with "fast" ?

Thanks

PS I added some numbers fo 7.6 EV (ISO 100, 1/60, f/1.8) I will try a different EV later.  This is in fluorescent lights.

Press to Shot (includes both focus duration and shutter lag)

Refocus 291 ms

Min to Focus 614 ms

Inf to Focus 311 ms

The min focus number is where I set the lens to minimum focus distance and pressed the shutter to focus to 1:53 (this is about 2.6 m focus distance) and the Infinity to focus is the same, manually set the lens to infinity and hit the shutter.  The min to focus has a long ways to turn the lens, the infinity to focus not nearly as much.

I did this at f/1.8 to avoid any aperture opening/closing, but it does include the shutter lag, so the actual focus speed is a bit less than that (but shutter lag is about 1 order magnitude less than focus time).

We are talking on the order of 1/3 second to focus, that is as fast as an SLR.  The issue is more with tracking since it can't judge as well which way something is moving.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow