MFT shipments down

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,721Gear list
Like?
Riley, you make a good point
In reply to Rriley, May 5, 2013

The only times where cameras get dumped is when they are discontinued, replaced by newer models, or simply when someone blundered by building too many of them, expecting a sales share that never materialized. I think the later is what happened with the EPL1, since they built so many of them that there are new bodies selling for under $200 today.

I also think Olympus learned from this and used more conservative forecasts after that. The OM-D is still selling for very close to list price more than a year after introduction. There doesn't seem to be very many left over E-P3s. This was a smart business decision by Olympus.

This market pretty much operates by pull and not push.  The most successful companies build what people want, not what they can sell for the cheapest prices. Nikon and Canon have been successful because they have built what people want. And while it may seem like "APSC is dead" Nikon and Canon still continue to build these APSC cameras and sell them in much greater quantity than FF and MILC cameras combined. Again, a smart business decision by Canikon.

I also think the term "cheap full frame camera" is a misnomer. There are some stripped down models that are cheaper, but they are still not cheap by any means. The cheapest full frame cameras still cost twice as much as a good APSC camera, and make the OM-D and GH3 look like relative bargains. And once you go beyond the "nifty fifty lens with a plastic mount" the better full frame lenses certainly aren't cheap.

But "cheap" is a relative term. The Canon 6D and the Nikon D600 are only cheap when you compare them to a Canon 1Dx or a Nikon D4. They are pretty expensive when you compare them to a Canon 60D or Nikon D7100, which are cameras better suited for amateur shooters.

Putting it plainly, full frame will always be a niche product for high end users. It has become the new medium format. Even if the makers can someday get the price down to $499, they will still be too large and heavy for most users. Most of the mass market thinks that even M4/3 is too big, and prefer their camera phones. Canikon might be going in the wrong direction with these. But, like I said, they cover all the bases too.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow