Started May 4, 2013 | Questions thread
ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Easiest to Learn with
In reply to Guidenet, May 5, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

ilysaml wrote:

You're right, all of this go into the handling form of camera which is great for a beginner. Though some of the entry levels DSLRs are equipped with a touch screen which make it more easier than controlling fully manually.

Don't you understand. That's the whole point I'm making. We aren't discussing a camera that's easier to use. Quit going off course. We're discussing a camera which makes it easier to learn photography with.

I do understand that I don't need a 60D while I can get away with a 650D (Better handling, better performance, same AF, overall a better value)

They've got one dial for aperture and one for shutter speed. Simple and rather easier to teach and learn with.

You're right, but it doesn't seem like a big thing for me, assigning a function button or switching mode dials and turning wheel isn't that harder.

Pentamirror vs Pentaprism is more like discussing FF features vs CF, if Canon or Nikon or any other manufacturer put all the high features in a $1000 body they would kill the other product segments, if we will talk like this, the D800 has one of the best sensors ever with the very high resolution, so why not go for it to obtain the best IQ possible?

The D7100 and 7D are more like semi-professional cameras for the high and sophisticated AF systems, without learning too much about AF, exposures and metering a beginner would find difficulty making things right and would end up selling his gear.

Believe it or not, I don't even own a DSLR but I'm half a month away from getting my 7D, the reason I will go for this body is because of the high ergonomics and handling, and the fast autofocus & metering systems as I'll be mainly shooting birds a lot, but I have been reading and learning a lot for several months and I'm still and I will be, I just lack the real world testing and experience.

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Wait a moment. You're disagreeing with me as to what is best for teaching and learning, but you don't have any experience and have never owned these types of cameras?

Statements like the above really don't make sense. It might be logical from your position but it doesn't.

Wait a moment, it's not like this, it's just I never owned a DSLR before but I had a chance with many P&S but I never understood the fundamentals when shooting.

I spent a lot reading articles and watching tutorials to memorize and understand the basics and advances of photography, at least it will be easier for me to apply this on real world use than beginning from the scratch with the camera in my right hand and book on the left.

All these cameras can be set fully automatic where there is no confusing AF or Exposure. The point is to make it less confusing by teaching photography, and that's done by putting the controls directly in his hands and teaching him how to "make things right."

When shooting full auto with all focus points enabled, camera will focus on the nearest object which is rarely what one wants it to do instead of focusing with the center point.

I'm not sure at all what you're getting at with respect to pentaprism viewfinders. Go back not too far in history and no Nikon has Penta-mirror arrangements. None. Sure, it's a market discriminator, but so what? That's the point of moving a notch up for a better learning camera. It has nothing to do with discussing FF and CF.

FF bodies were/are more famous with their Pentaprism VFs as they are brighter, more expensive than Pentamirror and allow for precise AF. While CFs were/are more famous with their Pentamirros as they are cheap to produce but slightly darker, so one of the advantages of FF bodies over the CFs was the VF.

[quote] I think you're again losing track of the discussion. It's not the features which make it easier to use we're looking at. It's the ones that make if better for learning and/or teaching. An entry level DSLR is a pain in the tush to use in teaching or learning photography. A point and shoot can be hard as well to use for this.

With respect to learning the craft of photography, a novice will need to learn exposure to the point they don't get stuck using Automatic forever. So many get stuck in Aperture Priority Automatic exposure because they just don't really and completely understand it.  They have to let the camera decide the exposure because they either can't or are uncomfortable doing so themselves. Entry level models are mostly designed to shoot in automatic modes and that makes it harder to use in learning photography. [/quote]

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. I may have a different opinion but of course you know better than me.

Take care and good luck with your camera

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow