Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,657Gear list
Like?
SZ-30MR - Last Minute Photos
11 months ago

Sandra accepted an invitation to our City of Auckland Morris Dancers dinner, and decided to wear costume. We would leave the house early, but just as we went through the house door, Sandra requested some pictures, so we went back inside. Here is the last one of three she was happy with -

\

Verticals straightened, highlights brightened, -RED +GREEN, shading and burning.

Because we arrived early, we got the best parking space for leaving early, but we sat around for a bit. Then just before dinner I was asked to take a picture of the dinner table 'before it all gets messed up' -

Highlights brightened, -RED +GREEN, shading and burning.

The evening started with a progressive dance called 'Saturday Night On'. The three-course meal was very good. Sandra managed to get the recipe for the soup. Then they did the inevitable presentations. I got a certificate for being the most reliable musiciian, which I then promptly negated by taking Sandra home after just three dances. Luckily there were enough musicians to carry on.

Harping on about the SZ-30MR, which I do: There is enough information recorded to get a picture out of otherwise hopeless situations. No preparation was possible for these two pictures, which could have done with controlled lighting. What helped with retrieving them is an exceptionally strong flash (for a P&S), and a dynamic range that prevents shadow detail from disappearing into the noise. Shading and burning does not leave visible blotches with no detail in them.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SZ-30MR Olympus SH-50
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow