New Camera to buy

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Easiest to Learn with
In reply to Guidenet, 11 months ago

Guidenet wrote:

I would not. If a new person really wants to learn, an enthusiast level camera is easier to do this with. Just because a camera is called "entry level" does not mean it is meatn for learning photography. It just means features have been cheapened to make it the least expensive model. Don't look at it as what is the easiest to buy cheaply, but which would make it easier to teach. I often teach a beginner course and I know how hard it is to get everyone on the same page with regards to menus.

For example, having dual control dials is easier to master than just having one. One dial for shutter speed and one for aperture. That's much easier than having just one dial which you must change the use of. The fact that there are far more controls on the outside of the camera where you don't have to dig in menus makes for a much better learning experience.

Another learning aid and something I'd never do without is the top mounted LCD for information. This is an incredible aid to learning photography. It's and open book to your settings and the condition of the camera. I don't have to light up the back screen to get info. It's right there.

You're right, all of this go into the handling form of camera which is great for a beginner. Though some of the entry levels DSLRs are equipped with a touch screen which make it more easier than controlling fully manually.

All entry level SLRs have a tunnel like penta-mirror viewfinder. Data around the image is tiny are not so easy to read. All cameras at the next level up have real optical glass pentaprism viewfinders. They are larger and things are easier to read. Again, a better learning tool.

Pentamirror vs Pentaprism is more like discussing FF features vs CF, if Canon or Nikon or any other manufacturer put all the high features in a $1000 body they would kill the other product segments, if we will talk like this, the D800 has one of the best sensors ever with the very high resolution, so why not go for it to obtain the best IQ possible?

As far as learning tools, most entry level models have been gummed up with all kinds of fluff features like in-camera hdr, scene styles, art filters, several kids of automatic, and all this gets in the way of learning photography.

Scene modes are useful for those who wanna understand how stuff work before going into full manual, it's useful indeed.

So, when I advise a Nikon for someone really serious about learning photography, I go for the cheapest of the models that have the basics I have suggested above. D90/D7000/D7100 is the least expensive Nikons that are easy to teach and to learn with.

The D7100 and 7D are more like semi-professional cameras for the high and sophisticated AF systems, without learning too much about AF, exposures and metering a beginner would find difficulty making things right and would end up selling his gear.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Believe it or not, I don't even own a DSLR but I'm half a month away from getting my 7D, the reason I will go for this body is because of the high ergonomics and handling, and the fast autofocus & metering systems as I'll be mainly shooting birds a lot, but I have been reading and learning a lot for several months and I'm still and I will be, I just lack the real world testing and experience.

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow