Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,104Gear list
Like?
Bird Brained Composition - Your Help
May 4, 2013

I know this may not be the correct forum, but I know more folks here, so this is where I'm going to ask for help.

I made this pelican and seagull picture a month ago and it was just about my favorite bird shot in a long time. That is it was to me. The reason I like it is because I love the pose. I worked hard to get it what I think if adorable and humorous at the same time. It was a Laughing Gull who just landed amidst four pelicans. Three of them are giving him the stare down. They don't approve of him in the least. The other pelican is just ignoring the gull. Can you see this dynamics going on? The fact that only the gull is in sharp focus is on purpose as is the somewhat shallow DOF.

That's the problem. My friends and family all think it's a boring shot and I should not bother to print large. None believe it's worth my bird gallery. I think it's wonderful. I love it. I could come up with tons of conversations these birds are having and all kinds of captures.

I suppose I'm asking for your thoughts, not so much on exposure, but on composition and what's going on here.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow