Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
McKee500
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Help with this one (from Space!)
May 4, 2013

Normally I shoot with a sony NEX 5n, but yesterday some friends and I sent up a weather balloon to about 90,000 feet (w/ FAA approval) with a canon P&S on it and a GPS tracker.  After reaching altitude the balloon burst and had a parachute for the trip back down.  The GPS tracker helped up recover the package, which fell in a farm field.

We had run many computer models to predict the rough landing area, but there are so many variables it's amazing that the prediction was so good.  We also had exceptional conditions.

This camera is an older (2008?) 8MP camera that has produced some great simple snaps in the past, provided the conditions aren't too challenging.

I'm trying to get the most out of these photos, I'd like to maybe print one or two at ~8x10, but they just don't seem that great.  Part of it I'm sure is atmospheric haze, but maybe folks could take a look and provide C&C or suggestions.

We do have another balloon, so I might get bold and send up a better camera next time.

Original OOC photo

Processed.  Still seems noisy and missing something.

Thanks for looking.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow