I don't get street photography. Please explain

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,818Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel somewhat the same way
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 4, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

I find the destitute people shots, those composed to be 'shock' or pity generating, to be somewhere between patronizing and exploitation for personal amusement. Perhaps some can rationalize this as 'drawing attention', but that belongs as an adjunct to a story, not as art unto itself.

It's not that people live in a condition that most of us might find unpleasant, it's that someone chose that as a subject for pity, thereby conveying an elitist judgment.

OTOH, the more typical street scenes in metropoli far from where I live, shots that show the typical bursts of color and energy found in a bustling city, that I find very interesting.

If you do this for a profit, fair point.

But what if camera's weren't allowed to shoot suffering or misery?

That world is out there, it's real.

One of my interests is history. So I have seen many documantories about WW 1 & 2.

I am sure that the perception of things would be very differen't than is today.

When war became a hot item on tv (Vietnam) it changed the public opinion on war almost instantly.

The thing that should and must be considered is the impact of what one does with the photo's.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow