I don't get street photography. Please explain

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,480
Like?
Re: I don't get street photography. Please explain
In reply to A Riley, 11 months ago

A Riley wrote:

So street photography -- if a photographer loves cities and loves city dwellers (and I do), she'll use her camera, her skills, and her artistic sense to express and demonstrate that love. Is the photographer engaging her subject as a fellow human being? Or is she viewing her subject as an object to observe with detachment?

To me, engaging a subject as a fellow human being means respecting the subject's dignity and humanity (and that includes respecting their right to privacy -- i.e., consent to the photo). The photo of the man sitting on the curb in front of the cathedral with his two little dogs is a good example. The photos of the old merchant waiting for customers is another.

The story of the photographer getting in the EMTs' way to get closeups of the man having a heart attack on campus -- that's way over the line from detachment to exploitation. Taking advantage of someone else's misfortune for a shiver of shock for the viewer is exploitative and dehumanizing for both the subject and the viewer, let alone the photographer.

Well said. I think any good photo (or at least street photo) should capture a moment. But someone having a critical medical episode is not a subject for that. I'd have been tempted to take the camera from that young woman and slam it on the ground.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow